Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Shades of Gray: Value Scale and Drawing

Three hours. That is how long it took me to finish drawing a value scale. I don't remember value scales taking me that long in the past, but apparently thats how long one takes. It was challenging to get each segment of the scale correct and the right value. I found myself erasing and going back over the same area more than once. Each time, it was either too dark or too light. At one point I think all of the value segments were all the same. It took effort, but I think that I was able to find the correct values.
The drawing was easier than the value scale itself. The first thing I decided on was the shape. And then I decided to use all the values on the value scale. I tried to arrange the values so that they would balance each other out. I chose the shapes I did to have movement through the drawing.

No comments: